The Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA) was established in 1994 to promote the meaningful, relevant and appropriate use of media to serve the education and training needs of Commonwealth member states of Asia. Over the years, in step with rapidly changing advances in educational technology, CEMCA widened its scope to embrace emerging educational technologies, while broadening the scope of education itself to cover formal, non-formal and lifelong education at all levels.
CEMCA fully aligns itself with the COL programmes, while retaining its regional focus and devises appropriate learning solutions while maintaining a balance between the aspirations of its diverse stakeholders and the available resources. Promoting appropriate and low-cost technology options underpin all of CEMCA’s interventions.
The specific objectives of CEMCA are to:
- Develop and Promote Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Promote Technical Vocational Skill Development leading to Sustainable Livelihoods
- Create awareness and build capacities of Educational Institutions to Design and Develop MOOCs
- Promote linkages between CEMCA and other organisations to enhance Technology Enabled learning in the Asian region
- Use suitable media to reach the unreached for giving access to quality education and/or skill training.
CEMCA publishes a quarterly newsletter and produces knowledge resources on various applications of ICT in education. It provides fellowships, attachment and internship opportunities to young and middle-level professionals to work and gain experience at CEMCA. It also recognises best practices and plays an advocacy role in the promotion of community radio and open educational resources.
CEMCA serves as a regional networking and collaborating centre for open and distance learning to promote the use of information and communication technology.
Visit the CEMCA website at www.cemca.org.