COL’s work in Fiji over the past three years has focused on promoting open educational resources (OER), policy development and course design, as well as identifying innovations to support teaching and learning in both formal and informal education settings.
Knowledge Management and Technology
- COL’s Aptus technology is an off-grid, offline virtual classroom — a classroom without walls. Through Fiji’s Higher Education Commission, Aptus has undergone trials at local institutions. As a result of their success, it is currently being explored as a platform for OER in Fiji’s secondary schools and as a “library-on-the-go” to serve students in rural or remote locations enrolled in distance learning programmes at Fiji National University.
Learn more about Aptus.
Pacific Centre for Open and Flexible Learning for Development
- COL and the University of the South Pacific work collaboratively in supporting the Pacific Centre for Flexible and Open Learning for Development (PACFOLD), a regional centre located in Fiji. The centre’s priorities include: advocacy for and capacity building in flexible and open learning for sustainable development; the development of regional and national policies on open, distance and flexible learning; and research in flexible and open learning.
- The online community PACFOLD Learn was launched in early 2017.
- Also in 2017, PACFOLD offered an online course on Flexible Skills Development, with participants from across the region.
Learn more about the Pacific Centre for Open and Flexible Learning for Development.
Technical and Vocational Skills Development
- In 2017, COL welcomed participants from nine Pacific countries to a four-day regional workshop in Suva on OER course design for TVET. Created to address the needs and priorities of the Pacific island states, twenty-six TVET educators from 12 partner institutions attended.
Learn more about the Technical and Vocational Skills Development initiative.
Learn more about the Technology-Enabled Learning initiative.
Virtual University for Small States of the Commonwealth
Fiji is a member of the Virtual University for Small States of the Commonwealth (VUSSC). The VUSSC partnership represents 30 small states of the Commonwealth dedicated to expanding access to tertiary education.
- During 2016, COL co-facilitated an intensive week-long workshop on eLearning pedagogies and materials development using open and distance learning (ODL) and OER, with the support of the Teachers’ Educational Resource and E-learning Centre (TEREC) at USP. Participants were from Fiji, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu.
Learn more about the VUSSC initiative.