The Commonwealth Executive Master of Business Administration and Public Administration (CEMBA/CEMPA) Programme is the outcome of collaboration between COL and four open universities in South Asia: Allama Iqbal Open University (Pakistan), Bangladesh Open University, Indira Gandhi National Open University (India) and the Open University of Sri Lanka. Established in 2002, the CEMBA/CEMPA Programme is now expanding through partnership with institutions in Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean.
COL aims to empower people with the learning that enables them to be agents of economic and social development. Our goal is to deliver high quality learning and professional development opportunities – with our Commonwealth Partner Institutions – that complement existing MBA/MPA programmes in the participating countries.
Students may choose from two fields of study: Business Administration (MBA) or Public Administration (MPA), with the option of:
- studying at any of the Partner Institutions and receiving recognized and bona fide transfer of credits;
- multiple Programme exit points, with the option of earning a post-graduate diploma or a Masters degree, in as little as two years.
Flexible and Modular Programmes
The CEMBA/CEMPA Programme is designed for part-time study by busy working professionals, in response to the growing demands for post-graduate level education in business and public administration.
The flexible and modular programme allows students to choose either Business Administration (MBA) or Public Administration (MPA) as their major field of study. In addition, students have the option of several exit points after earning a diploma, graduate diploma or a Masters degree. The minimum completion time for the Commonwealth Executive MBA or MPA is two years.
Top Quality Curriculum
Instructional materials for each course were developed by subject experts drawn from various institutions in the Commonwealth. Curriculum developers from universities in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India and Canada, wrote original course materials. Other courses were adapted and updated or acquired from existing courses at Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), the Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK), Charles Stuart University (Australia), and Massey University (New Zealand). Courses are updated regularly, to ensure that course materials remain current. The current (2021-2022) review process also aims to include alternative and authentic assessments, gender-responsive materials and cases, OER and additional learning-centred features.
The Commonwealth of Learning CEMBA / CEMPA Programme benefits from the oversight and direction of two governing bodies: an Executive Governing Board and an Academic Board. Our goal is to design and deliver high quality learning and professional development opportunities for participating Partner Institutions and their students.
- Affordable fee structure – affordable access to management education for working executives and managers;
- Focus on Open & Distance Learning – flexible and distributed learning mode which is ideal for part-time study;
- Recognition and Credibility – the Commonwealth of Learning provides support to the CEMBA/CEMPA Consortium & Programme.
- High-quality curriculum – the CEMBA/CEMPA courses were developed by subject matter experts from universities in Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India, and Canada;
- Local Learner Support – each Partner Institution in the CEMBA/CEMPA Consortium provides learner support through tutors and local study centres;
- Localised Materials & Resources – each Partner Institution provides localised materials, resources and case studies to supplement learning;
- Credit Transfer – students attending courses at any Partner Institution will receive bona fide credits for their CEMBA/CEMPA degree. (Some conditions apply. Please contact the Partner Institution directly, where you wish to pursue a degree or diploma.)
- Expanding Number of Partner Institutions – The CEMBA/CEMPA Consortium is growing throughout the Commonwealth. Please check the Partner Institutions page for the most up-to-date information.
For more information about becoming a CEMBA/CEMPA Partner Institution and joining COL’s CEMBA/CEMPA Consortium, please write to us.
Prospective students are advised to contact respective Partner Institution directly.