Jamaica is the most populated Caribbean Commonwealth nation, with about 2.7 million people. Literacy rates and enrolment ratios for primary and secondary education are high.
Current work in Jamaica is primarily in the areas of higher education, Lifelong Learning for Farmers through partnership with the Rural Agricultural Development Authority, teacher education, technical and vocational skills development, and technology-enabled learning. Jamaica is a member of the Virtual University for Small States of the Commonwealth. Learners from Jamaica continue to benefit from COL’s open online courses and other resources.
Partnerships are fundamental to COL’s work. Strategic partnerships allow COL to broaden its reach and engage at global, regional and national levels, while implementation partners support COL’s work in communities and institutions across Commonwealth Member States. Partners include multilateral organisations, regional bodies, national governments, government agencies, foundations, civil society organisations, public and private (not-for-profit) institutions and the private sector. COL partnerships assist in improving and extending teaching and learning services to people in the developing Commonwealth.
COL’s partners in Jamaica include:
- Ministry of Education and Youth (formerly Ministry of Education, Youth and Information)
- Christiana Potato Growers Cooperative Association
- Council of Community Colleges of Jamaica
- Frazer-Cascade Producer and Marketing Organisation
- HEART Trust/NTA
- Jamaica Constabulary Force
- Joint Board for Teacher Education
- Rural Agricultural Development Authority
- The University of the West Indies, Mona
- University of the Commonwealth Caribbean
- University Council of Jamaica
Dr Phylicia Marshall
Assistant Chief Education Officer, Tertiary Unit
Ministry of Education and Youth
Dr Nancy George, Honorary COL Adviser
Dr Marlene Hamilton, former member of COL Board of Governors
The late Dr Dennis H. Irvine, COL Honorary Fellow
The Honourable Sir Alister McIntyre, former member of COL Board of Governors
The Honourable Burchell Whiteman, OJ, COL Honorary Fellow and former Chair, COL Board of Governors